Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My First Real Norwegian Day :)


This morning I was woken up and could not sleep anymore. I went and took my first shower, very nice, and got ready for our "program". The 4 international students (yes, only 4, pretty crazy huh Cobbers?) met with Inger Marie and learned a bit about the school after some introductions. There is myself, Anette from Finland, Matthias from Germany, and Magdalena from Ireland. We also heard about a trip that 50 students from Diakohnjemmet can sign up for. It is like a camping trip, there is hiking, rafting, "juving" which is basically putting on a wetsuit and helmet and jumping into the river I guess! I am hoping to go if someone can lend a sleeping bag for me??

After lunch together and small chatting, we met students Helena (21) and Paul (27) who are both 2nd year Social Work students. They showed us around the "College" which is actually only 1 BUILDING. So strange to think. The school is about 2,100 students and that includes some Masters programs.

After the school we walked south, to a place with stores (not like a strip mall, just more like a street) and went to a GROCERY STORE thank goodness. They offered to let us shop so we didn't have to waste time going back later. So nice, but WOW was that grocery store INTMIDATING!! I couldn't read ANYTHING and it was hard to find things. Anette and I decided to share some food, we got 3 containers of GRAPES! It was buy 2 get 1 free...and me being so cheap...haha we HAD to do it! I came away with some pasta and sauce, bread, cheese and meat, a PIZZA (!), jam, fish sticks...and some others. When I went to pay...they didn't take Mastercard, which my credit and US bank card are both. Paul jumped up and payed for my groceries...so NICE! When we returned to put our groceries away, I stopped at the ATM and got 1000 Nok and payed him back the 300 I owed him. :) The ATM WORKED!!

After that we bought tickets and boarded the T-Bane (Tay-a Bahn eh) which is the subway system to Downtown OSLO! We saw a few stores, got me an adapter for my computer (so I can charge it now!), and walked around a bit. We saw the King's Castle, the old part of the University of Oslo, some fountains, and other things. The streets are FILLED with stores. I could see myself getting lost there easily...there are SO MANY!

Then we used the T-Bane to get back to the Borgen stop and walked back to the college. Paul and Helena went to eat, and us International students headed back to our rooms to relax. Matthias showed us the lockers and laundry room downstairs (it seems confusing!) and then we all went to our rooms.

After chatting with Mike, we had some major corridor (hallway) bonding. I propped my door open so people would stop and chat. Across the hall is Hedmina (sp?) who has a pet parakeet, Hedmulan, he is SO cute! We talked a lot about family, futbol, saw some pictures, ate some candy....BACON FLAVORED....so gross! It was a joke though...until Anette came over...she LIKED them...EW! Then we talked about ice hockey, more friends and family, and just had a great time bonding.

After some blogging and relaxing, more chatting, we decided to have dinner together. I made spaghetti for the 3 of us, and we ate dinner in our "living room". It was really fun, and we are making lots of plans!! We are maybe going to a futbol game tomorrow evening...I hope we can go!! We watched Grey's Anatomy (all of their TV is like years behind, it is wierd), and now I am here...getting very tired and ready for BED!

Tomorrow is our first "classes" which are mostly introductions to the courses. I am excited to learn my schedule and see how the classes will be. I hope you can all keep in touch and keep reading my blog...hopefully they will get shorter soon!!

<3

1 comment:

  1. Nat,

    I love reading about all your adventures. Love you!!!

    Anna

    ReplyDelete